The project entailed the upgrading of internal gravel roads to asphalt surfaced roads with related stormwater facilities, relocation of sewer and water pipes, and streetlight installation within the township of Drieziek Extension 5.
JRA appointed Calliper to provide professional engineering services, which entailed the construction of 13.2km of roads and related stormwater network, as well as an attenuation pond.
- Newly constructed and improved infrastructure (e.g., surfaced roads, paved sidewalks) have enhanced aesthetics of the adjacent houses and the overall surrounding.
- The upgraded roads improved the mobility of SAPS and EMS vehicles within the community, allowing them to service the community more efficiently.
- Roads and stormwater management networks have significantly reduced flooding and, most importantly, they have improved mobility of the community.
- The sidewalks improved the safety of pedestrians and non-motorised transport users.
- A total of 41 local labourers were appointed on this project.
- A total of 11 local businesses were appointed throughout the project.
- Community retained earnings were about 36% for material, sub-contractors, plant, local labourers and training.
The local labourers received construction related technical training from a CETA-accredited service provider, in the following skills:
- Basic first aid and road safety for construction
- Contract management
- Running a small business
- Concrete handling and placing
- Bricklaying and construction