Calliper was appointed to carry out planning and implementation of the Rea Vaya Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Alex Loop. The scope of works included the rehabilitation of the road in sections, construction of bus stops and shelters in constrained spaces along the road, paving of walkways, reallocation of water and sewer pipes and installation of streetlights.
The project aimed to provide a complementary BRT route to the broader Alexandra community, and to promote:
- Urban management
- Safety and security
- Economic development
- Fast, comfortable and cost-effective urban mobility
- Job creation
- Social inclusion instead of isolation
The area has been improved by the introduction of walkways on the roads that will enhance the mobility of pedestrians and people with wheelchairs.
The project contributed to the alleviation of unemployment as 89 jobs were created for the project.
Small contractors in the area were provided with opportunities on the project for them to upgrade their CIDB ratings.
The following training was provided for employees and SMEs:
- Entrepreneurship training
- Applying health and safety measures
- Implementation of construction site management procedures
- HIV/Aids awareness training